MEC Chiloane shocked by fatal gas explosion at Zodwa LSEN School

Gauteng Education MEC Matome Chiloane is shocked by the occurrence of a gas explosion on Wednesday, 23 August 2023, at Zodwa Learners with Special Educational Needs (LSEN) school in Atteridgeville, Tshwane, which led to the death of two employees and injured several other staff.

According to information at our disposal, a gas leak was experienced this morning at Zodwa LSEN school while mobile classrooms were being installed. Subsequently, a fire broke out on the school premises which unfortunately resulted in the death of two of the contractor’s employees who were trapped inside a mobile classroom.

It must be noted that approximately four other contractor employees sustained injuries as a result of the fire and were immediately rushed to a local medical facility.

The police are investigating circumstances surrounding the gas leak which led to a disastrous fire. Our Psycho-Social Unit visited the school today to extend necessary trauma support and counselling to those affected by this unfortunate incident.

“We are shaken by this abrupt gas explosion that has stolen the lives of two employees at Zodwa LSEN School. We are deeply saddened by this loss and wish to extend our sincerest condolences to the affected families and school community at large. We also wish a speedy recovery to those employees who were injured by this incident,” said MEC Chiloane.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *